Sunday, January 6, 2019

Gothic Victorian Jacket McCalls 7853 Pattern Review



My first make of 2019 is done and its a nice one!  This project also qualifies as my first make of the #makenine challenge I posted about earlier.  It is a fitted Victorian Gothic jacket lined in satin and trim in lace with puff sleeves. I used McCalls 7853 which is a fairly new pattern from McCalls. The pattern envelope looks its meant to be Mary Poppins maybe?



This past week, I started re-watching Penny Dreadful and was really inspired by the beautiful Victorian costumes on the TV series. I even did a whole blog post previously on the costumes from Penny Dreadful here. So I think this jacket has been on my mind for a really long time. The late Victorian period is my favourite for fashion silhouettes. Oh the bustles and lace trims!

After a quick root through my stash, I found a whole bolt of this black jacquard material to work with and a piece of black satin lining left over from another project. I also had the pattern in my stash from a shopping trip months ago. So I was off to the races!



I cut out a size 14 in the jacket and opted to just follow the pattern as is without any alterations. The collar is basically a roll collar with a notch cut out instead of two pieces and the front closes with frogs instead of buttons. The sleeves have a nice gather at the top and I added small shoulder pads and a wedge of material to make them stand up nicely. I fully lined the whole jacket with the satin and then finished the edges with a tiny lace and some gimp trim. I had salvaged the frogs from an old piece of clothing before I tossed it out, so they have been waiting in my stash for the perfect project. I finished off the back with a corset just so the jacket had a bit more detail to it. I used 3/4 inch D Rings and some trip to attach it. They are easier to add than you would think.

 

 


The jacket turned out so nice that I want to make a matching vest and long skirt to go with it also. Maybe a Victorian walking skirt would look nice?


 

 


Update! Here I am wearing the jacket to a Victorian Tea.




4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this it's goregous. I love jacquard pattern, the trim, corset detail I'm realm inspired to make one lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous jacket! I have the hot-topic jacket from Penny Dreadful and it is quite ok in quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! Amazing!! if it was just one size larger, i'd ask if I could rent it from you for my steampunk party i'm having for this year's Halloween party. I sure wish I could sew and even more so after seeing this post.

    ReplyDelete